Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ho-ing for Ho Ho Ho

So my homeroom class is doing a service project this week. The little darlins came up with the idea of taking orders for the delivery of holiday greeting cards accompanied by candy canes. All proceeds would go to buy Christmas gifts for a family in need. I suppose I should make the disclaimer at this point that the small town where I teach is nearly completely Christian. Christmas is just a fact of life here.

The real problem was, the sixth and seventh graders were ordering cards to be sent to their friends/boyfriends/girlfriends/favorite teachers/etc., but we weren't getting any love from the eighth graders.

Now, maybe you remember and maybe you don't, but my students from last year totally rocked and they are now all eighth graders. So, I was dispatched by the more goal-oriented students in my homeroom to make an announcement in each eighth grade class.

I guess it worked. Apparently today three of my girls from last year were going around the lunch room selling hugs for a nickel - quite a bargain. They then dutifully marched over and dropped the profits into our collection jar. I didn't ask how much they made. It's nice to know that I fostered a new form of prostitution.

(credit to Soulmate for the title of this blog entry)

4 Comments:

At 06 December, 2005 15:35, Blogger BlogBlond said...

are you getting part of the take? should we start calling you madam anysara? maybe you could start your own "tithing" project- that's very christian- and use the money to get soulmate a really cool chanukah gift...

 
At 06 December, 2005 19:52, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

You must hold a lot of sway. Who knew there was a way to make prostitution into a good thing? Very clever title. Does Soulmate go to Bastyr, by any chance?

 
At 06 December, 2005 21:21, Blogger Sarah said...

What's Bastyr?

 
At 06 December, 2005 21:30, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

It's a university in the northwest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home