Thursday, November 03, 2005

Soup-a-rific

I made Mushroom Barley Soup on Tuesday night. It was ok the first night, but today when I took some to school (and laboriously kashered the microwave), it, as my Opa would say, hit the spot. Yum. Lentil soup is next on the list - perhaps I'll start it tonight and let it bubble away overnight.

In other cooking endeavors, I am attempting to create a bread starter. This is done by combining a cup of flour and a cup of water and placing it in a jar covered by a towel in a warm spot on the counter. After feeding and stirring it for several days, you should have a natural growth of lactobacillus and wild yeast. This is how the bakeries in France and the sourdough bakeries in San Francisco make their bread.

I've created my starter. Now I need a good name for it. It needs a name because starters, with regular care and feeding, quite literally live forever and can be used throughout the years to make thousands upon thousands of loaves of bread. I'm thinking of either Ezekiel (could call it Zeke for short) or Matilda (Tillie for short). Will accept votes for one or the other and announce the decision motzei Shabbos.

5 Comments:

At 03 November, 2005 18:45, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Nothing quite like soup the next day, even better when it's been overnighted on a range...I vote for Matilda - a good mother-of-all-bread name...

 
At 04 November, 2005 06:01, Blogger Pragmatician said...

How about 'starter'?:)

 
At 04 November, 2005 07:24, Blogger Sarah said...

Ok, I did not request suggestions for names, I gave you two options and asked for a vote. No other suggetions will be considered.

Recording M.H.'s vote: Zeke.

Anysara (who is very cranky this morning)

 
At 04 November, 2005 09:02, Blogger Sarah said...

Elster! You can't vote for something that's not a choice. It's my ballot and I say no write-ins! This is not a democracy! Think of this like voting in Saddam Hussein's Iraq...

Anysara
(who really needs a shot of whiskey in her coffee right now)

 
At 06 November, 2005 16:52, Blogger Dan Eisenberg said...

I am submitting a write-in petition for Chava, for obvious reasons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home