Thursday, October 06, 2005

Rosh Hashanah Blue

Let's talk about going to shul.

I have a friend who is frum, but who is one of the more outrageous frummies I know. We can go toe-to-toe in foul language and just last Saturday night, I saw her down a pitcher of some fruity vodka drink without even getting a buzz. My point? She goes to shul every Shabbos without fail. I sat next to her in our rented High Holiday seats one row back in the women's section - she was davening like her life depended on it.

How often do I go to shul? Mmm...never.

Shabbos morning rolls around and all I want to do is curl up on the couch with my book for a few hours before davening and going to lunch. I try to convince myself that I should go hear laining, but my laziness yetzer hara gets the better of me.

So, how much time did I spend in shul on Rosh Hashanah, one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar? Approximately two hours.

On the first day, I arrived just in time for shofar blowing, having davened shacharis at home. I lasted through the Kedushah of Mussaf before I fled the scene. I had to get out. I was suffocating and dying of boredom. Where was the kavannah?!? In years past, I've been able to dredge it up from somewhere, but this year, nothing.

Second day I used the excuse that I was having people over for lunch and I needed to do last minute things like heat the roast, make Waldorf salad (sans nuts), bake the squash kugel, etc. I did manage to hear shofar blowing - a somewhat impromptu performance given by my neighbor while standing on the street corner for the benefit of myself, his wife, and M.H. who was coming to eat lunch at my house.

I hope Yom Kippur is easier. Otherwise, it will be a long, long day.

Off to eat oatmeal before the fast starts.

4 Comments:

At 06 October, 2005 09:41, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Really hard for me to connect this year too. Somehow sitting in shul just didn't do it...not feeling Yom Kippur will be much different. I am already pinning my spiritual hopes on sukkot....

 
At 06 October, 2005 12:22, Blogger AS said...

You can try this method: what is a possible difference between a person who is still here and the person that died this year (e.g. people killed by a terrorist attack) is one perhaps had just a bit more kavanah by kosvainu l'chaim...you are begging for your lif etc. If you really internalize that you may find it easier. Shonah tovah

 
At 06 October, 2005 16:22, Blogger Dan Eisenberg said...

Anysara- The question I believe is how was those 2 hours? Did u make the most of it? I don't think u should be so hard on yourself considering that you didn't grow up with spending all this time in shul. For Yom Kippur, why don't you bring a book and dedicate the time in shul to spiritual growth.

Jewish Blogmeister- I find your comment to be particularly offensive and sacraligious. Did six million people not have enough kavanah? Ascribing any reason at all to why hashem does something is pretending to have divine knowledge. Your idea works in kindergarden. Not when one is capable of independent thought.

Shana Tova.

 
At 06 October, 2005 20:25, Blogger Sarah said...

I think the Blogmeister was just trying to give me some suggestions for ways to summon the kavannah. In the past, thinking about dead people has done it (the whole martyrs section, etc.), but I couldn't summon the energy/feeling. I didn't want to give myself over to it, for some reason. It seems phony. Why should I be any sorrier on this day of the year than I am any other day of the year? Hashem is still watching, right?

I don't know. I think I'm just being cranky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home