Monday, October 31, 2005

Livin' la Vida Solo Rant

Single life just isn't fun.

Oh sure, I have unlimited access to the phone, bathroom, remote control... but it just doesn't make up for being able to cuddle up to a warm husband at night (or at least cuddle up to a warm husband sleeping one bed over).

Tonight, I stayed at work until 5:30. Not late, you might say. True, I admit, but late enough when you consider I arrived at 7:30. And I brought more work home with me. This is all part of Hell Week. Somehow, I roped myself into coordinating and chaperoning the seventh grade trip to Mackinac Island this year. We're having an organizational meeting for the 100+ participants on Wednesday evening. Did I mention I'm xenophobic? Not really, but there's a huge reason why I didn't go into business or sales, aside from my deep and abiding love for serving humanity in the non-profit sector. I once read an article on aish.com that talked about how singles should spend their time developing a love and yearning to serve the community. Yeah. Serve this.

And, parent-teacher conferences are this Thursday and next Tuesday evenings.

The long and short of it all: I hate dealing with adults (present company excluded since *most* of you are not idiots).

You see, I can excuse most acts of anti-genius in children. They are, well, children, after all and it's my job to develop and mold their little brains and generally beat the ingrained stupidity out of them. Are you scared, yet? The problem comes when I have to meet their parents. All year, I train them to not say "shut up"to each other and not to say "I ain't got none". When I meet Mom and Dad, they are inevitably yelling at their child, "Shut up! You know we ain't got nonna that at home! Oh wait, maybe I seen some yesterday in the TV room."

It's a lost cause. At least they'll all know the capital of Bolivia (quick - what is it?). Wait. Wait. La Paz. Ha, I knew you could do it.

Speaking of adults at the top of my fecal roster, I have again been bullied into eating Shabbos dinner at the house of woman in the community who will simultaneously ask you to help serve supper, try to sell you some clothes, and arrange for you to babysit for her ten (b'li ayin hara) lovely children on Shabbos afternoon so she and her husband can have a Shabbos shluf. Single girls, after all, have nothing better to do.

My inability to say no (translation: my inability to think up lies fast enough when caught unawares answering my phone at 10:30 p.m.) is woefully underdeveloped, but improving, generally-speaking. I was invited to the bar mitzvah of this woman's son a while back. She didn't have it catered and was relying on her guests to help serve the food (though she did manage to rent a hall). I snapped right before cholent. I had just sat down to eat my salad when she approached me and asked if I would go in and help serve the rest of the meal. WTF?!? Across the room sat an entire bevy of her female relatives who were in town from New York. Did they lift one jappy little finger? No. I, on the other hand, developed sudden, violent stomach cramps and had to excuse myself immediately to flee the scene.

The lamprey eel is an invasive species in the Great Lakes. "When attacking, the lamprey fastens onto its prey and rasps out a hole with its rough tongue.An anticoagulant in the lamprey's saliva keeps the wound open for hours or weeks, until the lamprey is satiated or the host fish dies." Sea Lamprey/Fish of the Great Lakes by Wisconsin Sea Grant.

Draw your own parallels.

This time, however, I'm taking a friend. Two is stronger than one.

Which brings me back to my original statement: single life just isn't fun. There was no one to help me carry in the groceries tonight, no one to get excited about the yummy soups I'm going to make tomorrow, no one to rub my neck and shoulders (at this point, I'd trade any possibility of ever having sex for a good neck/shoulder rub). I know I can pay to have this done (the massage, that is), but at this point I need it so badly that it would be like hiring a prostitute and would be woefully unsatisfying in so many, many ways.

Ah, at least I have my feather bed and a nice dog warming it for me as I sit here and type this (moving her will require a forklift, but will be well worth it once accomplished).

Ta ta. I'm going to bed.

9 Comments:

At 31 October, 2005 23:29, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Classic post in every way. Go, AnySara! Man, you are funny! Cannot believe that woman actually asked you to help at her son's bar mitzvah while her relatives just sat there! Talk about chutzpah...

I know it's not what you had in mind, but as it has just started getting seriously cold in my neck of the woods, I for one am very excited just at the thought of the yummy soups you are going to make...

 
At 01 November, 2005 04:17, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, MC. I'll keep you posted about the soups :) Now, if only we could talk about the neck shoulder/massages ;)

 
At 01 November, 2005 07:28, Blogger Shoshana said...

I hear ya. I often have the same "it sucks being single" thoughts when I am carrying in tons of groceries or taking out the garbage.

But if I was married, I probably wouldn't have had as much fun with our mutual friends last night either (you should come visit again). There's pros and cons to it all.

Here's to hoping that massage comes to you very soon!

 
At 02 November, 2005 12:59, Blogger Mir said...

My roommate and I never used to answer the phone when our landlady called, because usually she would beg one of us to babysit. I was always able to say no if I accidentally answered, but many times my poor roommate got roped into babysitting for the kids. She's too nice for her own good!

Married people definitely take advantage of their single friends.

Anysara, my advice is have a good lie prepared before you go to that lady's house.

Good luck!!!!

 
At 03 November, 2005 09:53, Blogger Sarah said...

So here's what I'm considering to escape from the Lamprey's lair:

a) violent stomach cramps again
b) exhaustion brought on by parent teacher conferences
c) I'll just tell her off and she'll never call me again! Everyone in the community knows how she is, so whatever she spreads around about me will be taken with a grain of salt. Plus, the fewer people who like me, the fewer who will call and, thus, the fewer I will have to talk to.

 
At 03 November, 2005 12:42, Blogger Dan Eisenberg said...

Take advice from my wife and marry a chiropractor!

 
At 03 November, 2005 12:56, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

C!!! C!!! C!!! C!!! Go with C!!!!....ok, fine. Go with B.

Any update on the yummy soups?

 
At 03 November, 2005 13:32, Blogger Sarah said...

MC - These are the things that keep me up at night. I'm horrible with on-the-fly responses, so I lie awake and imagine scenarios where I offer brilliant retorts that silence everyone in the room. I had several imaginary conversations with Lamprey last night after I got up for a glass of water around 1:30 and couldn't fall back asleep.

Sick and twisted? Maybe. But I suppose it keeps the mind limber.

 
At 16 November, 2005 16:48, Blogger Nice Jewish Guy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home