Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Chosson Hunt 2005 Primer

In the past few weeks I've had several people post comments or email me asking me to provide more information about myself. I also let it slip to some non-Jewish friends that I was keeping a blog. This post will address both of these groups.

When I started this blog, I wanted somewhere to vent my feelings in an honest way about shidduchim (dating in the Orthodox community). While I appreciate readers of this blog who want to set me up with their son, neighbor's son, friend's husband's daughter's ex-boyfriend, et cetera, I'm not entirely comfortable adding too many details about myself on this site. I truly think it will impact my ability to write candidly and honestly about my experiences.

I will say this: I'm an Orthodox Jewish giyores (convert). I will only date Orthodox Jewish (frum) guys. So, if you still want to set me up with your brother's uncle's business partner's son, please send me an email at chossonhunt2005@yahoo.com

Now, my dear and wonderful non-Jewish friends who, for some reason, wanted to read this blog... This is your shidduchim and frum-speak dictionary. Please feel free to let me know if additional explanation is needed.

Pronunciation note: the 'ch' in Hebrew and Yiddish is a cross between the English 'k' and 'h'. If you are pronouncing it correctly, it should sound like something gross is subtly stuck in your throat.

A note on translations: these are not scientific definitions. They are my definitions as I understand them. Please let me know if you feel I've made a gross (as in the opposite of small) error in any of them.

  1. baal teshuva - someone who became religious later in life
  2. bashert - the person you will marry and live happily-ever-after with
  3. Chassidishe - Hassidic (i.e. the guys with the curly sidelocks)
  4. Chassidus - Hassidism
  5. chesed - volunteer work (literally: kindness)
  6. chosson - groom (i.e. the opposite of bride)
  7. frum - Orthodox Jewish
  8. hashkafa - outlook - classification within the Orthodox world
  9. machmir - strict
  10. Rav - a rabbi
  11. Shabbos - the Sabbath
  12. shadchan - someone who makes a shidduch between two people
  13. Shas - the Talmud
  14. shidduch - a date or "match"(of the Fiddler on the Roof variety). Plural: shidduchim.
  15. Yichus - status - how important your family is and has been to the world of Orthodox Jewry
  16. Yid - Jew
  17. yom tov - holiday (Passover = yom tov)
Happy reading!

2 Comments:

At 16 June, 2005 16:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you've bowed to peer (pier?) pressure and let some of your gentile friends sneak a peek at this blog, I feel somewhat guilty. This blog is vey personal and I commend you for being brave enough to share.

Bravo! We're all here cheering for you.

 
At 16 June, 2005 16:26, Blogger Sarah said...

Gee, thanks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home