Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Advice

I suppose I'm just in an advice-giving mood today. Have you ever had a day where you feel, if not precisely on-top-of-the-world, then at least Supremely Competent? Today is that day.

I rose early this morning to begin cooking, baking, and cleaning out my grandmother's refrigerator. Ten hours later, I had made a kick-butt BBQ glaze, corn bread, potato salad, a blueberry-peach pie, and chocolate chip cookies! In between all this, I conducted several different conversations online and managed to swim a few laps around the raft before my aunt and uncle arrived.

I know. I'm easily entertained.

Speaking of, this brings me to the advice section of our column this evening:

If you are filling out a SYAS or Frumster profile and they ask you to list your hobbies, do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES list your hobbies as 'watching DVDs and playing video/online games'.

Many of us watch DVDs. Some of us (mostly males?) play video games, etc. EVERYONE can manage to find something better to do with themselves, especially on paper. If not, make something up. The Tailor used to have 'Rodeo Clowning' under 'Hobbies' on his Frumster profile. Problems arose when hapless women took him seriously.

Anyway, just some helpful hints from your friends here at Chosson Hunt.

7 Comments:

At 04 August, 2005 10:58, Blogger SemGirl said...

Sara have you got any good dates thru SYAS ??

 
At 04 August, 2005 12:59, Blogger Sarah said...

Elster - my family isn't even Jewish! (see Frumster profile)

Semgirl - I think I'm about to have my first good date from SYAS - a friend of mine joined as a shadchan and has been looking for my (and a few others) bashert - one guy is flying in to town for a date later this month, hopefully (of, course I insisted on splitting the ticket price with him - only fair).

It's worth subscribing - especially if you know someone who would sign up as a shadchan. All those cute boys - right at your fingertips! ;)

NJ - Thanks!

 
At 04 August, 2005 14:42, Blogger Sarah said...

Elster - No harm, no foul.

I generally try to disclose that type of information on a need-to-know basis. I hate answering the question "So, why would anyone ever convert to Judaism?" (or any of its million variations.

No one is ever satisfied with the short version of the story and the long a)is longer than most people want to hear, b) has more personal info that I don't necessarily give out to every Tom, Dick, or Yaacov on the street. ;)

 
At 04 August, 2005 14:55, Blogger Sarah said...

Good. I was afraid for a minute that I might have to open up a can right here on my own blog.

;)

 
At 04 August, 2005 15:17, Blogger Sarah said...

Elster, there's definitely something to be said for being able to *amuse* oneself, come what may.

;)

 
At 05 August, 2005 03:50, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Home made chocolate chip cookies, hmm have some leftovers? :)
I’ve always mentioned on dates that I enjoy watching a good movie and that sitcoms like "The Nanny" I hate to miss.
But it's true I always mentioned reading, playing tennis first then only I would mention the movies.
But perhaps in fact it’s not such a good idea to put it on a web profile; it’s more for a second or third conversation.

 
At 08 August, 2005 10:29, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Who wouldn't want to date a rodeo clown?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home