Sunday, August 28, 2005

I think I've found it.

I've become obsessed with Maine.

I just finished reading The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson. I normally flee from reading anything that falls under the label 'non-fiction', but after hearing an interview with Corson on NPR's Diane Rehm Show and falling in love with coastal Maine after visiting a few weeks ago, I had to read it.

I highly recommend this book if you have any interest in either life in coastal Maine, lobsters, or wildlife conservation. Corson writes interestingly and intelligently. The book fed my newest addiction quite nicely.

Point? I was websurfing motzei Shabbos and typed "Jewish Maine" into the Google search box. The second hit was for a shul claiming that Bangor, Maine is "the USA's most northeast Orthodox Jewish Community".

Bangor is a small city of approximately 32,000. It's is a stone's throw from both Acadia National Park and Baxter State Park, home of Mt. Katahdin, terminus of the legendary Appalachian Trail.

Today, I was poking around a little more after returning from a trip to the park with the Stinky Dog. Let me tell you, folks, it only gets better. I surfed to the website of the Bangor Daily News and saw that this weekend the Bangor waterfront played host to the
American Folk Festival.

Wilderness, frummies, and a folk festival? Somebody pinch me.

I won't tell you what nearly happened to me when I read this. Suffice to say, it involved heavy breathing and a racing pulse.

Oh Chosson, my Chosson, wherever you are, we are moving to Maine.

Anyone out there know anything about the Bangor community?

2 Comments:

At 28 August, 2005 18:00, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I have friends who moved from Maine to Brooklyn (I don't get it either). They said the Orthodox community there is small and on the older side.

If only there were a community on Mount Desert Island...

Thought you might enjoy this post:

http://awhisperingsoul.blogspot.com/2005/07/somewhere-off-coast-of-maine.html

 
At 28 August, 2005 18:19, Blogger Sarah said...

Ok, MC, a kosher organic vegetarian bed-and-breakfast? As soon as I stop twitching, I'll post more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home