Monday, June 20, 2005

When is Shavuos?

Ok, so I've been sitting on this post for over a week now between yom tov and getting into somewhat of a summer groove. But, I'm glad I waited because it got even better at 11:35 p.m. yesterday.

I had a suggestion from SYAS about six weeks ago. The guy lives somewhere in the western U.S. and looked pretty good on paper - FFB who had gone off and then come back, but interesting. Whatever. It was not something to say 'no' to.

He finally got around to calling last Sunday (erev Shavuos) around 2:00 p.m. This is how our conversation played out. I'll call him "Yeshiva" Boy because he told me his parents had sent him to yeshiva his whole life. This becomes important.

"Yeshiva" Boy: So what are you doing today?
Me: Oh, you know, cleaning up from Shabbos and getting ready for yom tov.
YB: Wow! You're getting ready for Shabbos already?
Me: No, I'm cleaning up from Shabbos and getting ready for yom tov.
YB: Yom tov?
Me: Yeah, you know, Shavuos?
YB: Oh. Well, it's not a real yom tov, is it? I mean, my rabbi wants me to come learn all night with him, but I was going to drive over.
Me: No, you can't. Listen, you're really freaking me out - how do you not know about Shavuos?
YB: Well, I live pretty far from the Orthodox community - too far to walk. It's too bad I didn't know earlier that it was yom tov. I could've arranged to get the day off of work. But, there's no one there today and I can't just not show up...
Me: Aaaaaaaaaaagh!

So, you see the issue. I was so flabbergasted by the whole conversation that I neglected to tell him he shouldn't call me again. I decided to wait and give him the news when and if he called again. In the meantime, I emailed someone at SYAS about his clearly misleading profile...

Fastforward to last night at 11:35. I was peacefully asleep on my couch (my mother was visiting and sleeping in my bed) when the phone rang. I picked up on the fourth ring:

Me: Hello?
YB: Hi! It's ___________ from (insert western state here)! How are you?
Me: It's 11:35 here.
YB: Yeah, I'm sorry to call so late. What have you been up to?
Me: Can I talk to you another time?
YB: Oh! I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you up! I'll call you next weekend.
Me: Whatever. Goodbye.

If nothing else, at least shidduchim are interesting.

3 Comments:

At 20 June, 2005 17:26, Blogger Lapierre Médias© said...

hi from canada
your blog is very interesting.

 
At 20 June, 2005 20:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw a link to your blog over at "yiddishechatrooms", so i came to check it out, you are right on the button, keep it up girl

 
At 21 June, 2005 12:37, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for reading!
Anysara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home